Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The depressing Academy Awards

So I hope I was the only one out of all my friends that wasted their time watching the Academy Awards, but somehow I get the feeling that I probably wasn't. For the most part this year it was exactly how I expected.
Jack Nicholson was sitting there, close to the front, smiling at everything, Jon Stewart made fun of Conservatives, the most anti-American documentary won the best documentary category, the best female actor of the year was won by some French chick no one's ever heard of before, and the best motion picture of the year was won by a film no one I know has and will probably never see. Was that it? uhh yep.
One thing however did make me think a little bit this year. Since it was the Oscar's 80th anniversary, before they would announce who the winner of the individual categories were they would go back and show who previous winners were chronologically. I watched it the first few times and didn't pay much attention to it until they did it for the Male Actor of the year. They showed guys like Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and I got all excited, and then they announced who it was going to be this year, and that's when it hit me. Daniel Day Lewis? Just looking at him made me like, what? He had two big loop ear rings! He looked like a chick! Could you just imagine our grandparents giving him the male actor of the year? Yep, me neither. I don't know, maybe he did a really good job in "There Will Be Blood" but it just goes to show how far our entertainment has declined.
I also noticed it when they showed all the movies that had won the Picture of the Year. A lot of the older movies I had seen because that's how I was raised, so I knew that were good quality films, and just seeing the little clips they showed made me feel good. We haven't had a good Picture of the year since "Lord of the Rings," and that was in 2003! When I saw the winners of the past 10 years, or even 5, I felt... disappointed to say the least.
I'm sure you all don't need me to tell you this but, watching the Academy Awards made me realize again that we got to figure something else out for entertainment. Do we make our own movies? Do we know some directors that are decent people that can make them? I don't know what it is yet, but maybe some of you do.

1 comment:

ruinedcanvas said...

Wow Josh. ONE SIDED. Have you seen No Country For Old Men? Daniel Day was stellar. The earrings? every other state in this union wouldn't look twice at a male with earrings and long hair. You said our grandparents wouldn't have given him actor of the year... why wouldn't they have? suppose his acting was the exact same in their time... isn't that award based upon his professional skills? i was unaware that in order to be a good actor you have to look like a missionary. I fail to see how the 2007 actor of the year - with earrings, goes to show how the entertainment industry has declined. By that reasoning, any field employing professionals with earrings has declined. All the previous films that have one best picture were just like "No Country for Old Men". Cutting edge for their time and - controversial. Casablanca, Silence of the Lambs, Platoon, the Godfather? come on man. I fail to see a decline in entertainment, rather, a large scale opening of the close mind types that dominate this country - even if it is only manifested by allowing a bad actor with his bad earrings and his bad hair to win an award which means absolutely jack shit to the general population as it is. Just because someone doesn't conform themselves with a cookie cutter label/image doesn't mean they are unable to possess morals or "decency" let alone degrade an entire industry's quality.

Who is the collective "we" you keep referring to? Who is the we that is going to make movies? What is the criteria for a "decent director"? no earrings?