Monday, February 18, 2008

Why do we let the little things keep us down?

You know I've often been asked my opinion about things that other people do to see if I thought they were bad or not. Mostly they're just little things like, do you think this is dishonest? I know a lot of us have been in this same position so you will be able to relate with me on this.
For example, someone recently just asked me if it was dishonest to buy something from Walmart, use it once, and then take it back the same as when they bought it. No harm done right? these are interesting questions, mostly because of the expected response. The questioner wants you to excuse the action regardless of how small it may seem. Rationalizations begin with very small issues and always lead to larger problems. This is the result of raising a generation of people pleasers. Now, before some of you think I'm too hypocritical, because obviously for most of you that know me know full well what weaknesses I have, let me tell you a way that I've thought about answering this question without compromising principles and lead to what we Christians refer to as eternal progression. I've thought about this quite a bit so I hope this helps.

You could start to answer this question by asking yourself and answering a few questions. Is this something Jesus would do? Well no. But, am I on the same level Jesus is? Still no. But am I trying to become like Jesus? Of course. So, when am I going to be like Jesus? Someday. Therefore, am I eventually going to have to obey this rule and not be dishonest? Yes. The last and perhaps most important question is... What steps can I do and am willing to take now so that I will someday be able to follow this simple rule? And then do them!

This line of questioning leads to admitting that certain actions are just wrong no matter how small. It doesn't do any good to rationalize our actions that are just not right at times. It also acknowledges our imperfections and our dependence on the Atonement. Also, it provides a way for us to make small goals to help ourselves while inviting Christ to assist us in overcoming simple sins that may be keeping us from progressing.
This is just something that's been on my mind quite a bit lately. I hope it is helpful, and if anyone has ideas to add to this formula please let me know. In case you didn't figure this out yet, I'm not perfect either. ha

No comments: